Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Thousand Splendid suns - Khaled Hosseini


It's a tale based in Afghanistan. It starts off in the 1970's telling the tale of one Mariam and goes on where after around 2 decades the story of a young girl Laila intervenes into Mariam's. the rest of the story goes on about how their life goes on amidst the turmoil around them.

It gives one a really good perspective into life in Afghanistan back then and even now. The way people are treated, women are treated, how people survive. I've always found the subject of life in the past interesting, so the vivid descriptions of the Afghani elite who followed a nearly American way of life, from cars, music and the comparisons to the much poorer kept me enthusiastic. But then if you want that more, you really should be reading the kite runner. Cos it's got a lot more adventure that you could relate to in certain ways, Specially me being a male.

It's not exactly a gripping tale but it will keep you immersed. Specially if you haven't read Khaled Hosseini's other book. For people who have read the kite runner, specially me, I found this book a little boring in bits and pieces. It does not come close to The Kite Runner in any way, I felt. But else it really is an impressive book. Worth a read for sure!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting will add to my book list to read.
http://cutestangel.wordpress.com/

akd said...

nice review

First I will read Kite Runner....then this one !!!!

AT said...

Used to read books with a vengeance, but after I started workin, its come down a lot. I've heard a lot about the Kite Runner, tell me, is it really that good? More important, will I be able to finish it? Yeah, I do read Ayn Rand, and I want to read Kite Runner..

AT said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ash D said...

@ Asha. I cant really give you a comparison of the kite runner with anything. I'm not really good with comparisons. Its a good book is all I can say...

cutestangel said...

I have just read this book its brilliant.thanks for the recommendation aswin.


http://cutestangel.wordpress.com/