Sunday, October 24, 2010

Endhiran

It took me a whole week to find time to actually blog about it. First thing, Given the recent increase in a spate of Rajini jokes, here is another one that can be added. :P Apparently, no robot except a Rajini robot can impregnate Aishwarya Rai. Secondly, Endhiran become a US box office hit on the opening weekend, because, Rajini told Obama he would 'visit' the US, unless. Thirdly, Endhiran would most probably have been dismissed as another 'indian masala hollywood wannabe' movie, if not for Rajini and the big budget that it attracted.

I had received a lot of reviews that said, and I quote, "The 2nd half is a Shankar Movie". I would like to ask at this point,"What makes you say the first half is a Rajini movie??" If you walk in expecting a Rajini movie, trust me, this is completely not it. The first half was obviously the better half, but that was because it had the right mix of an interesting story, some humour, and a obscene amount of songs shot in some planet not known to humans, or any other life form for that matter. The second half just has an insane amount of graphics, stunts and the works, to keep the viewer entertained, but sufficiently dazed as well, because trust me, at one point, when the viewer realises things aren't making any sense(We are talking about indian viewers who watch stupid romance flicks and the likes that have absolutely no logic at all here mind you), you just end up getting a really dragging and soggy storyline.

I am pretty sure, Shanker would not have dared take this movie in this form with any other actor. Because if he had, chances are he would be sweeping the streets for a living the next day. I mean the work that has gone into the film is amazing. No doubt. the graphics, the stunts and scenic locations and camera work is just top of the class. Definitely among the best that Indian cinema has ever produced. But when you see behind that Glossy surface that screams Rajini, you realise, it's all show and no go. The music is not much to write about either. As stand alone audio, they just don't whet my palette, while in the theatre, they gel well with the cinematography thus proving to be an entertaining combo. But then again, definitely not the best work of ARR.

I enjoyed watching the movie and I am sure you would too. But then, that's just once, for the hype and the Rajini factor. That's it. You most probably will not remember too much of it at a later time period. And personally, I felt the evil robot was a better personification of Rajini than all the other characters of Rajini in the film. His actions, the style of language was all to the dot, the best display of Rajini in all his former glory, than the other roles in the film. Maybe 10 years back, this movie might have been revolutionary, but for now its just a definite one time watch, for all the effort that has gone into making this epic film.

3 comments:

Asha Tampa said...

Haven't watched this one yet, and I doubt if I will... am just not strong enough :D

Heard reports that the bad Rajni is more appealing than the good one... but I think that is only because girls have a penchant for the bad boys ;-)

Aparajita said...

Ooh. Wisecracks. I'm supposed to leave one, eh?
Well then, let me get to work. First of all, let me say this: this is definitely not the best work of AD. Apart from the spelling, grammar and related mistakes (which I can ignore), there are a few generalizations I found unwise. Biggest example: "...indian viewers who watch stupid romance flicks..." Maybe if you had said "That part of the Indian audience who love stupid romance flicks..." it would have made better sense because I think that every Indian with access to cinema has watched at least one stupid romance film in their lifetime, by choice or otherwise. (Would you be able to get out of watching a "stupid romance" flick your girlfriend was hell-bent on watching?)

Stargazer said...

was searching up on endhiran blogs... found yours... do read my blog on endhiran here - http://isthismalarkey.blogspot.com/