Saturday, December 08, 2007

At the coffee house.......

It’s 4 o’ Clock. I look out the window onto the busy Manhattan streets. There is no sign of her. I signal to the Barista who nods and goes about preparing my 4th espresso and I continue staring at my laptop. The figures on the screen refuse to register on my mind. All I can see are those memories of days long gone….

We were the hottest couple on campus; Ambitious individuals bonded together by love. We had dreams of a life together and all our careers pushed aside. Things had seemed great and settled until that day….

She seemed perturbed and cautiously avoided me the whole day. Inspite of her supposedly normal exterior, I could see that deep down she was thinking hard. I knew something was wrong. This went on for the next few days and I finally cornered her. She broke. The next few minutes of my life that day I shall never forgot or understand. I left the place torn and confused. All that rattled through my mind was her voice echoing the things she said. Life… Ambition….Love….Favours….Career….Climb…

I understood her dream of climbing high, but the fact that it had to be at the cost of our life together was something I could not accept. She said she loved me and that I knew was true, yet her chosen path was not something that I could agree to. “Let fate decide our life” she said and I conceded….

It just seems like yesterday, but 5 years have gone by now. Today I sit here awaiting the girl that I fell in love with. I know why she wanted to meet me today; To tell me the inconvenient truth that I’ve been dodging all along. Yet somewhere inside of me there is a part that hopes that yearns that she might spring a surprise. After all it was that very hope that made me drop everything and embark on this transatlantic journey.

“Hello”. I look up to find a woman, the woman who once was a girl, the girl of my dreams. “Ananya….” Is all that comes out of me… I pull myself together. “You look great, just like in college” I say. She looks at me, a knowing smile. Her eyes display love and for a second I think I see the heart of the young innocent girl that I knew. We just sit silent, unable to put forth a conversation. This was not how we dreamed it to end. She broke the ice. “Ramesh, I wanted to see you today… I need to tell you…. I love you still, but…. We both know… I’ve put myself into this, I need to carry on, I don’t want to put you through it….You’ll get better than me….

Silence was all that prevailed. I knew better than to argue. It was pointless. She was firm in her decision. Maybe it was for the better, Maybe not…

Minutes went by.

“A lot has been happening. I’m pretty tied up at work. I hope it’s the same for you in Brussels?? ”. All I could give was a blank look. Small talk obviously didn’t work. With nothing else to be said, she stood up. “I need to be going.” She came closer and embraced me. A peck on my cheek and “I will always love you” in my ears. This was her parting gift. She turned to leave and then again turned back. Our eyes connected. I saw a small tear down her cheek. Then she turned and left, lost amidst the crowd…

22 comments:

Hotchocolate said...

A Poignant dream...
Stupendous romance :P
obviously A scribble by a maniac :D

Rya Raghav said...

I totally understand. It takes more than just years and tears to heal a broken heart. Every word uttered would resonate in the deepest wells of the head. Every inch of the world would have a story attached.I guess what counts after all the years is that those memories will always seem sweet no matter how much they make us cry.

Vindhyanjana Ramani said...

When did u change ur name to Ramesh??? :p

blogophobix said...

kudos :)

didnt know that a fervent romantic lurked below the activa driving wisecracking exterior !

CRD said...

lovely post man. moved me. might have been terrible

however, i think it was really unfair on her part. i dun think she loved u enuff. else she wudve done anything to be wid u

Tina said...

BEAUTY...wat a lovely post....it touched me deeply...i really cant judge if its really her fault or not..but ur post moved me...kudos man...
"I understood her dream of climbing high, but the fact that it had to be at the cost of our life together was something I could not accept" Sometyms even a perfect relationship encounters such pitfalls...

Hope u doin aite

Cheers
Tee

J said...

Nooooooooooo........ :(( what ever happened to "...and the lived happily ever after" ?!

=)

lol...jus kidding.... you're damn good you know....

pandian chelliah said...

beautiful.....moving...poignant.... if it is indeed a true account i am just wondering at ur state of ur heart, because u r relooking at it five months from the date u posted....and i wonder how long u r going to relook into ur memory.....move on...dude...( that is if its real...or if it isnt....i would be interested in knowing if u r continuing the story,,,because everybody loves a happy ending

Ash D said...

well hmm as on the nature of this article i cannot comment.. ;). It has fiction it has truth...

As for a sequel, hmm lemme see because i don't really know where i can take this too. U have got m thinking though, and i have several ideas. There could be a happy ending, it could get worse, hmm man is my brain working on overload already,well whatever it is,if there is a sequel, i promise it'll be up here by the end of may most probably...

Anonymous said...

I hope it isnt real! :)

To go through that would be pathetic...I dont know why love and career cant go together? I dont understand why so many people feel the pressure to choose?


Love,
R

www.lifealame.blogspot.com

Siddharth Bose said...

nice post....keep postin

Setu said...

Nicely written.
Touches the reader.

Vinayak said...

nice post

Arun Kumar said...

so...is this fiction...??

i dunno...(im not the kind of person who accepts fate n i also i dont believe in destiny...)
but why did you guys part away at first...???

Prerana said...

really its difficult when heart breaks !!...really very touching !!!

Anonymous said...

a sequel would be great! I will wait for that.

alx said...

romantic n touching mate

ya hop both f ya find better partners

Ratzzz said...

i kinda of prayed that she doesnt say dump career lets get back again...

freaky.. dunno y i felt that

Adisha said...

Too many woman looking for a life that's complete without a man... Many a times leaving behind someone who values them without all their frills... :(

adisha

cutestangel said...

beautifully written.

Anonymous said...

a lovely post...very poignant!
great going!

Thoughts Over Chai said...

WOW such a well written story! I am sure everyone who has read this, it touched their hearts.